The 2003 Nevada Legislature voted to automatically restore civil rights to first-time, non-violent offenders upon expiration of their sentence or upon their honorable discharge from parole or probation. There is no cost to apply. NDOC (for prison discharges) or the Division of Parole & Probation (for those who discharge from parole or probation) will provide documentation of the restoration of rights, which can then be taken to the County Voter Registrar or provided to others as proof.

Automatic restoration of civil rights upon discharge does not apply to Category A felons, Category B felons whose crime caused substantial bodily harm, or felons with 2 or more convictions. Those persons may, however, apply to the courts requesting the restoration of their civil rights. There is no cost to apply.

The civil rights which are restored are:

  •  right to register and vote
  •  right to serve as a juror in a civil case
  •  if 4 years after discharge, right to run for and hold non-law enforcement and non-judicial elective office
  •  if 6 years after discharge, right to serve as juror in a criminal case.

Former inmates who were already expired as of July 1, 2003 were automatically restored to their civil rights upon the passage of this law on July 1, 2003. Records older than one year will have to be obtained from State Archives so allow two weeks for response to this request.

To apply to the Nevada Department of Corrections for the documentation of civil rights restoration, print and fill out Form DOC-2074. Return by fax, email or mail to: 

NDOC Offender Management Division
P. O. Box 7011
Carson City, NV 89702
Fax: (775) 977-5583

All other offenders who qualify will receive documentation of civil rights restoration upon their discharge from prison in Nevada. Those who must serve parole first, must apply to P&P to get their documentation after they honorably discharge from parole.