It is the mission of the Nevada Department of Corrections to protect society by maintaining offenders in safe and humane conditions while preparing them for successful reentry back into society. We operate as one Team, proud of our reputation as leaders in corrections. Our staff will utilize innovative programming that will focus on education, mental health, substance abuse treatment, and vocational training as the cornerstones to an offender's rehabilitation.
- Operate in a team-based environment where our staff are revered as our greatest asset and developed to the highest-professional level.
- Hire, train, equip, support, mentor and promote high quality corrections professionals and hold them to the highest professional and ethical standards.
- Provide humane, safe, healthy, and protective custodial care, rehabilitative opportunities and re-entry assistance for offenders under our supervision.
- Committed to the protection of the public, safety of our staff and security of our offenders.
- Embrace diversity and recognize the value and dignity of staff, inmates and the general public.
- Establish meaningful partnerships with public and private entities to assist us in successfully accomplishing our mission.
- Deploy evidence based, outcome-oriented strategies.
- Reduce victimization and recidivism by providing offenders with incentive for self-improvement and the tools to effect change.
We will pursue our mission with integrity, act in a professional and ethical manner, be responsible for our actions, and raise the department to the highest standards.
- Maintain a safe environment for employees and offenders.
- Establish an agency strategic planning program.
- Maintain industry standards and industry best practices.
- Develop Emergency Preparedness and Special Operations Division at the Warden-level.
- Hold offenders accountable while providing evidence-based programming to assist in modifying offender behavior and the opportunity to be productive citizens.
- Re-establish or enhance offender family interactions.
- Foster outreach and partnerships that promote shared responsibility for community safety.
- Ensure effective and efficient health care delivery to support quality health care.
- Implement professional development programs and curriculum specific to supervisory, mid-level managers, managers, leadership, and executive level leadership development.