Code of Ethics
The Nevada Department of Corrections is committed to a code of ethics that will guide the performance, conduct and behavior of its employees. This code will ensure that our professionalism is reflected in the operation and activities of the Department and is recognized by all interested parties. In this light, the following principles are practiced:
- Employees shall maintain high standards of honesty, integrity, and impartiality, free from any personal considerations, favoritism or partisan demands.
- Employees shall be courteous, considerate, and prompt when dealing with the public, realizing that we serve the public.
- Employees shall maintain mutual respect and professional cooperation in their relationships with other staff members of the Department of Corrections.
- Employees shall be firm, fair, and consistent in the performance of their duties. Employees shall treat others with dignity, respect, and compassion and provide humane custody and care, void of all retribution, harassment or abuse.
- Employees shall uphold the tenets of the United States Constitution, its amendments, the Nevada Constitution, federal and State laws, rules and regulations, and policies of the Department.
- Whether on or off duty, in uniform or not, employees shall conduct themselves in a manner that will not bring discredit or embarrassment to the Department of Corrections and the State of Nevada.
- Employees shall report without reservation any corrupt or unethical behavior that could affect either inmates, employees, or the integrity of the Department of Corrections.
- Employees shall not use their position for personal gain.
- Employees shall maintain confidentiality of information that has been entrusted to them and designated as such.
- Employees shall not permit themselves to be placed under any kind of personal obligation that could lead any person to expect official favors.
- Employees shall not accept or solicit from anyone, either directly or indirectly, anything of economic value, such as a gift, gratuity, favor, entertainment, or loan which is, or may appear to be, designed to influence their official conduct.
- Employees will not discriminate against any inmate, employee or any member of the public on the basis of race, gender, creed, or national origin.
- Employees will not sexually harass or condone sexual harassment with or against any person.
- Employees shall maintain the highest standards of personal hygiene, grooming and neatness while on duty or otherwise representing the Department.